St. Aloysius Robinson Atlas shows the original location of the school.
St. Aloysius Robinson Atlas
The 1883 Robinson Atlas of New Orleans is an invaluable resource. Here’s the caption from the book:
Robinson Atlas. This 1883 atlas shows the location of St. Aloysius Academy in Block 18. Just to the left, in Block 19, is the Archbishop’s residence and St. Mary’s Church. The residence is now known as the Old Ursuline Convent. The church, which has had several names, is currently called “St. Mary’s Italian Church.”
The archbishops of New Orleans moved into the Old Ursuline Convent when that order moved to the Ninth Ward. (They later left the area altogether, moving Uptown.) The current archbishop’s residence is on S. Carrollton and Walmsley, next to Notre Dame Seminary.
Block 19 is inaccurately described. The buildings labeled “St Marys R.C.Ch.” are actually the convent/archbishopric. St. Mary’s (also known as St. Mary’s Italian and Our Lady of Victory) is the building next to the label.
Block 18 consisted of a number of residential properties in 1883. The house on the corner of Barracks and Chartres housed officers of the Spanish Army, during the Spanish Colonial period. So, the house faced Barracks Street. The house’s gardens occupied the actual corner.
The property passed from Spain back to France, just before the Louisiana Purchase. The Spanish passed ownership of much of the government-owned property to the church. That avoided turning it over to the Americans. The Archdiocese of New Orleans still owned the property after the Southern Rebellion. During the rebellion and Union occupation, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart operated an extension of St. Stanislaus College in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in New Orleans. The BOSH taught boys from the city who couldn’t get back to Stanislaus at Annunciation Parish in the Marigny. By the end of the rebellion, the BOSH decided to open a school in the city. They asked the archbishop for assistance, and received the officer’s quarters.
I cut down this snippet, St. Aloysius Robinson Atlas, for the book. So, the snippet shows the streetcar tracks on Esplanade Avenue. New Orleans City Railroad opened their mule-drawn Esplanade line in 1861.