Many railroads and airlines operated ticket agent offices at the St. Charles Hotel.

Eastern Airline storefront office at the St. Charles Hotel

The St. Charles Hotel was Travel Central

Photo of the Eastern Airlines ticket office on the ground floor of the St. Charles Hotel, early 1950s. Photo is from Franck Studios, via THNOC. The St. Charles was one of the city’s premier hotels since its opening in 1837. Since it attracted so many business travelers, the hotel leased out storefront space on the ground floor to railroads, and later, airlines. This started back in the early 20th century and continued well into the 1960s. After the opening of the Union Passenger Terminal in 1954, many of the railroads offering passenger service moved ticket operations to the station. It wasn’t all that far, and tickets could be delivered back to travelers staying at the hotel by messenger.

Eastern Airlines

After World War II, commercial airline travel increased dramatically. Therefore, airlines moved into storefronts previously occupied by the railroads. Eastern Airlines began operations in 1926. After the war, the airline ran regular flights from New Orleans to Miami (its headquarters and hub), and New York City. While Delta dominated air travel from New Orleans to Atlanta, Eastern also flew the route. The airline offered personal service to travelers in the CBD with this ticket office.

Third St. Charles

color postcard of the St. Charles Hotel, New Orleans

Eastern’s ticket office stood in the third (and final) incarnation of the St. Charles Hotel. After the second hotel burned down in 1894, this incarnation opened in 1896. So, in terms of travel service, this building ruled over the planes and trains. Streetcar routes were designed to pass by the hotel and all the major railroad terminals. The St. Charles lasted until 1974. The owner, Louis J, Roussel, Jr., demolished the hotel that year. He intended to build a massive, 800-room hotel on the site, but that plan never materialized. After ten years as an empty lot, the Place St. Charles office tower replaced the hotel. Capital One Bank now claims the naming rights for the building.

Liked it? Take a second to support NOLA History Guy on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!
Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!